Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree...

A few days ago Shannon and I had a really sad conversation. We ultimately decided that we wouldn't have a Christmas tree this year. With the entire house being flooded and having to move everything out, and the repairs being so close to Christmas it just wasn't feasible. If we did put up a tree we would probably have to take it down just before Christmas, only to have to put it right back up, and if we did put one up after the repairs it would only be up for a few short days, and what if the repairs aren't done? So, we decided that we would spend Christmas at my parents.

It is kind of depressing to think that my kids will not have a tree with all of their presents wrapped under it. Which was something we all knew, when we decided to do the room remodels for Christmas the kids knew they wouldn't have many, if any presents at all. Well, as Christmas gets closer I really feel like it was a bad idea. I still intend on buying them presents. Shhh, don't tell. And then there was the flood..........errrrrr. The rooms are getting remodeled anyways. Double eeerrr!!!

So, let's go back in time about a month ago. Long before the house flooded. Long before we decided that we weren't going to have a tree.....

My son had to do an Atom model for Science. I took him to the Dollar Tree and low and behold they had a million and one Christmas decorations out on display. We decided that he would make his Atom out of Christmas Decorations. We were so excited. We knew this would be great! How many other students will use Christmas decorations for their Atom??? None! That is what makes it so great. You see, in the land of Middle School, you never want anybody to ever be like you, or have clothes on that are like yours, or have projects that are like yours, and if your child's backpack is like somebody elses....."Mom I need a new back pack" will be what you hear the very next day. In fact when we were picking out the ornaments to decorate this Atom we had to steer clear of bells. Somebody else was using bells.

Ok, rewind to today.....

I went over to the park to grab my sons stuff so he could train for a half marathon that he is running in early February. (Yay, go Rich!!!) And there it was.......My Christmas Tree!

It was an image from God. My son walking towards the park, with his very unique white back pack, in his running attire holding my Christmas Tree. It was magnificent!

I held myself together for the short time I grabbed his stuff and then as I drove away I began to cry. I laughed, I cried and I prayed.

I told the Lord "You knew didn't you? You knew that our house was going to flood, and you knew that I was going to be really sad about not having a Christmas tree for my children? You knew that I would need this, didn't you?" I must say, this God of mine takes care of me. He looks out for me and protects me from all of the ugly out there. What family doesn't have a Christmas tree at Christmas? NOT US!!!

We have the most beautiful Christmas Tree around. It is so beautiful because it is a gift from God. He made it long before Christmas was even a blip in my mind.

And, it was only $15.00 decorated and all!!!

(Don't worry Mom, we will still come to your house for Christmas.)

No comments:

Post a Comment